We had our last committee meeting for the year Mon 23rd Oct.
Please find below a summary of what we discussed at the meeting, including info on our upcoming events. Remember all our events are family friendly, and all are welcome, member or not. Hope to see you there.
- Kelsie and Angela updated us on the beach erosion study grant. The study resulted in a beach erosion specialist advising the best design for erosion control would be a sloping embankment along the foredune. A meeting is to be held with coastal engineer Bill Kramer on site at Garden Island Sands regarding a possible design. A portion of the original grant money remains and it is proposed this be used to employ a planner to steer a building application through council's planning process. Funding for any building work would still need to be sourced.
- Foxglove Follow-up Sunday 5th November. We will have another weeding session at the end of GIC Rd this Sunday, 5th November 10-12noon. As foxglove flower spikes emerge, it is the perfect chance to spot any we missed at our last weeding session. Please byo hand tools and gloves (foxglove is toxic so skin contact should be avoided). Bring along a snack or some lunch and we'll head to Flat Rock for a play and relax once the work is done.
- GIC Community Fire Preparation Gathering. Garden Island Sands turning circle. Meet with other GIC locals to discuss how we as a community can be better prepared for the upcoming fire season. A sausage sizzle will be provided. BYO drinks & chairs. Proposed for Thurs 16th Nov, 5.30-7.30pm, however this is yet to be confirmed. Please check FB and emails in the upcoming week.
- GIC Landcare Tool Trailer. Tools have been purchased for Landcare and community use through grant funding organised by Laura. A list of available tools and a booking system will be shared soon!
- GIC community noticeboard coming soon. A noticeboard has been made and is apparently almost ready for installation... keep your eyes on the space around the school bus stop...
The community fire preparation gathering later this month will be our last event for the year. The next committee meeting will be held in February.You are able to view the Final Management Report on the Documents Tab and other relevant documentation